Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Week 12 #2

In chapter 35, Griffin explains muted group that is " people with little power who have trouble giving voice to their perceptions because they must reencode their thoughts to make them understood in the public sphere; e.g., women. " ( p 455). Women are in the muted group . It doesn`t mean that women have no voice in the society, but women have no power in the society. They can`t react the ways they like to ; they have to follow the roles that are provided by the culture. Before they get married, women have to follow their fathers and brothers` orders. After they get married, the women have to listen to their husbands` orders. If not, the society will be reacted the women badly. As a result, women are tought to be in muted group by their own cultures when they were young.

1 comment:

Darnisha said...

I feel that this idea is very outdated. I know that I did not grow up thinking that I had no voice within society. I was always taught that I can do the same thing anyone else can do, and a lot of my friends were raised the same way. Yes, it was true in the past that women were taught these things, but I do not feel that it is true now. A perfect example of this is Hilary Clinton's race for the presidency. Not many people thought they would be able to see a woman run for a position a man usually holds, but she did. Perfect example!