Thursday, September 4, 2008

Week 2 #3---Me

According to the textbook from chapter 5, " Me, The objective self; the image of self seen when one takes the role of the other." ( P63). People develope their " Me" by communicating with their friends and peers. people`s " Me" change time by time because they communicate to difference friends and peers in difference time. we always hear parents say why their children`s behaviors change often. Also, people look at their friends to detect the image of themselves, and try to act like their friends. For example, when I was in the third year of middle school, I had two best friends who were the top five students in my class. I spent more of my time studying with them, and I studied hard to get good grade. I thought that I should be a top student in my class just like my friends. Therefore, when people change their behaviors, not only ask why they change, but also need to understand their friends.

Reference;

Griffin, Em. (2008). Communication Theory. New York: McGraw-Hill.

2 comments:

Professor Cyborg said...

Symbolic interactionism highlights the roles that others play in shaping our identities and how identities may change over time. The latter is the difficult part, not so much for ourselves, but when we view change in others. Generally, humans don't like a lot of change, so when friends change, it can take some adjusting to.

Anonymous said...

This was one of my favorite concepts in this chapter. We have all acted a particular way because of the people we were around or at the very least knew someone that did. I am 24 years old and still know a few people that change the way they act with certain people. They rake on different personas. Whether its because of a fear of being rejected, wanting to blend in, or merely a unconscious act, it happens. I even catch myself doing it time to time.