Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Week 5 #2

In chapter 12 mentions that " for without dialogue, there is no relationship." It`s a very good piont to talk about communication. In the first month of my son`s new school, I didn`t know anyone in his school. I was alone. But, in some day of the second month, a mother of a first grader talked to me while we were waiting for the kids dismissing from school. At the beginning, we just talked some simple things about the school; later, we found that we had a lot of similarities from each other.Half years later, we went shopping together. Now , she `s one of my best friends. Our relationship began with only simple dialogue. On the other hand, my husband and his brother had some kind of misundersatnding 10 years ago. They haven`t met and talked together. Now, my husband doesn`t know how his brother is, where he lives, and how his family is. Even though they are brothers, they haven`t had relationship from each other because they didn`t have dialogue between them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was a very interesting concept. While they say communication is made up like 80 percent or so of nonverbal communication. Still, it seems that the dialog is the most important part. Without it, we would not be able to develop relationships. Like Ada said, if she had not spoken to the other mother, they would not have became close friends today. Even if it starts out as small talk, it can develop into a great friendship.

Professor Cyborg said...

Ada, you provide a good example of the importance of dialogue, and what happens when people cut off contact from each other. That's so sad about your husband and his brother. Sometimes I go for a few months without talking with my brothers, but then I'll get an email or a phone call and the time melts away. But each person has to be willing to listen as well as talk. And as rileygirl points out, everyday small talk is a key part of maintaining relationships.

Darnisha said...

It is good to know that any form of relationship can begin with just simple dialogue. I know when I look back at how I met all of my friends and my boyfriends, it is hard to believe that all we had to do was say "hello" to each other and find a similar interest. If you have nothing in common with someone, it is hard to develop a relationship with them. I know with some people that I have met, I have simply avoided developing any kind of relationship with them because there is just nothing we have in common with each other. I would be bored and eventually end the relationship anyways. It just makes me realize the importance of good dialogue.