Monday, September 1, 2008

Week 2-- #1 Blog

I`m Chujing. The Socio-Cultural Tradition from chapter 4 is very touched my feelings. The Socio-Cultural Tradition is focused on people`s talk, they produce and reproduce culture. The same color has many difference meanings in difference culture. For example, Americian think that white color means peaceful, honest, and purify. They use the color in their wedding. But, in Chinese culture, Chinese think that the white color means sad and ghostly. They usually use the color in funeral ceremony, and don`t use it in their wedding. The white color has total difference meanings with these two cultures. Therefore, people misunderstand other people not only the words they speak, but also they have difference explaination with their culture.

2 comments:

saucysaschy said...

Cultures are so different and things have different meanings. I'm glad I read your post and learned something new about the Chinese culture. I wrote about the socio-cultural tradition also. I could relate to it as well. It is kind of a disadvantage how in one culture, something can mean one thing and in another culture, it can be the exact opposite. It makes it hard for people to understand each other which I think is very unfortunate. Sometimes I just wish that all cultures could understand each other and then there might not be as much hatred and fear towards each other!

-Sascha

JimTin said...

You make a very interesting point. I too, thought about the differences between cultures and how those differences can affect the way we communicate with those who are distant from our culture. I personally had no idea that in Chinese culture, the color white is seen as sad and ghostly. I have lived in the United States my whole life so I will always perceive the color white as calm and angelic.

Another example that I can think of to add to the subject of culture differences is how the thumbs up sign here in America is meant as a positive gesture. In Iraq, it is the equivalent of a middle finger here in the States. Anyway, your example is very good in describing communication problems through culture differences.