Monday, September 22, 2008

Week 5 #1

In chapter 11 mentions about Computer-Mediated Communication versus Face-to-face. Now more than 90% of young people like to go on Internet to research, send and get mails, talk through webcam, and play games. They can`t live without computers. Most of them feel comfortable with the activities of computers, but feel anxiety to make face-to -face communication with people. They are social isolated from people and society. Also, it`s dangerous to communicate to others through computers. People create good image and personality online to perform themselves. If young people believe the "good image and personality", the young will get caught. Therefore, young people don`t spend much time online; they need to go out to meet people face by face to develop their social skills.

2 comments:

Professor Cyborg said...

Review Walther's research on hyperpersonal communication. He's not arguing that online communication is bad. In addition. research from the Pew Internet & American Life Project has found that young people use online tools to connect with their in person friends. In addition, online time typically comes out of television time, not time interacting in person with others. There's no research that supports the notion that young people today are any more or less skilled socially than previous generations.

Rina Sutaria said...

I believe that Computer Mediated Communication (CMC) is actually beneficial to people instead of being detrimental. Obviously there are the negatives such as chat rooms and adults preying on children, but I believe the positives outweigh the negatives.

I believe that the benefits of computer mediated communication allow people to be more creative and express themselves in ways they might not do otherwise - if they are too scared or shy to say something out loud, sometimes typing it makes it much easier.

I also believe that because there are so many people logged online and so many resources available, your wealth of knowledge increases by chatting online. I also believe that communicating online via a computer rather than face to face communication saves a lot of time. Rather than walk into my bosses office to ask him a question, we just use Yahoo Instant Messaging to communicate. Additionally, for me personally, being online has increased by ability to multi-task. At work, I have about 5 windows open at any given time (my Yahoo IM, 2 windows of our work database, my work email, and Microsoft Excel).

Also, social networking websites such as Facebook have really kept me connected to my friends and peers. I have found people on there that I went to high school with, for example, and have reconnected with people. It's also nice to share pictures with others online through facebook or other sources, and find out what's going on when it's convenient for you to log in (compared to face to face communication when both parties have to be available).

I understand the points you were making about CMC and the negative impacts of it on social interactions, but I believe the positives definately outweigh the negativs.