Friday, October 10, 2008

Week 7 #2

In chapter 20 mentions " consent" that is " the process by which employees actively, though unknowingly, accomplish managerial interests in a faulty attempt to fulfill their own." ( Griffin, E, 2008). ( P 266). I have the same feelings as the example of Lynn in P 266-267. When I was a child, my father usually worked overtime everyday. He didn`t take care of me and played with me much. My mother took care of the whole family. My father loved his company because he thought that he had more power in his workplace. He was poud of his power and communicated with other co-workers with the power in the workplace. When he went home, he didn`t feel the same power at home. Therefore, companies have a lot of power to keep their emplyees spending their times and interest in the companies.

2 comments:

marikamania said...

It is interesting how some people feel powerful out work and will almost live at their organization. It was interesting that it was pointed out that sometimes men feel more powerful at work than at home and will prefer to hang out a work.. Also interesting was that there was a comment made in the book that said if men felt more powerful at work there would be less instances of men physically abusing women. I wonder if that has any grounds to it.

Anonymous said...

I also find it interesting how people define themselves by their job. The better the job, or higher up, the better self estem some people have. If their job is meaningless, they feel less acomplished in life. Jobs can dramatically effect ones life. Some of the other theories in this chapter were interesting as well. Like marikamania said, that if men felt more powerful at work there would be a less tendency to abuse women. I have not thought about this, but it makes sense. I would like to see the evidence supporting it.