Monday, October 13, 2008

Week 8 #1

In chapter 21, Griffin mentions Aristole`s three kinds of proof that are logical ( logos), ethical ( etho), and emotional ( pathos). " Logical proof comes from the line of argument in the speech." ( Griffin, E, 2008.) ( P 280). When we attend to a public speech, first of all, we listen to the argument in the speech and find out the main ideas of the speech. If we don`t know or the argument is indistinct, we will lose our interest in the speech. " Ethical proof is the way the speaker`s character is revealed through the message." ( Griffin, E, 2008).(P280). For example, Martin Luther king`s " I Have A dream", he told the black that he was a member of them , they had to struggle for their freedom with nonviolent the same as him. Also, he spoke to the white that the black just wanted to be treated equal as the white with nonviolent because he was an example of the black. " Emotional proof is the feeling the speech draws out of the hearers." ( Griffin, E , 2008), ( P 280 ). Martin Luther King spoke to people that " I Have A Dream" to catch people `s emotion ; and people could connect to the dreams they had. Public speech is not only communication to people , and also have these three kinds of proof to catch people`s interest, focus, and emotion.

3 comments:

Rina Sutaria said...

Hello,

I enjoyed reading your discussion of Aristotle's three kinds of proof. For me personally, the strongest proof is the "emotional" one because when something evokes emotion, it really touches me. For example, I had to listen to a speech for one of my other Communications classes. That speech was in 1992 at the Republic National Convention where Mary Fisher talked about the HIV virus she had and how it affected everyone regardless of age, status, class, gender etc. Because I have a close family member suffering from this disease, I could really identify with her speech. It really touched my heart, even making me shed a tear.

I'm an emotional person to begin with, and this is why pathos to me is the one that touches me the strongest when compared to logos and ethos.

marikamania said...

I enjoyed your blog about the perceived source credibility. I think all three aspects are very important to credibility, it would be hard to say one is more important than another. I think that to many virtuous character is very important, since in our society actions speak louder then words. Goodwill is essential, if we don't think the person has good intentions the likelihood we will find them credible is slim to none.

Professor Cyborg said...

Aristotle's work definitely emphasized logos and ethos as superior to pathos. That is, Aristotle posited that rational arguments presented by a highly credible source would always be more persuasive than emotional appeals. Research suggests that emotional appeals can be persuasive in the moment. But they may not be long lasting as audience members reflect on the appeal and the emotion evoked fades. Logical appeals can be more persuasive if on closer examination they prove valid. Speaker credibility is essential--if the messenger is doubted, the message will be doubted as well.